Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Captain America: the Winter Soldier


I was very excited for this movie and for the most part it did not disappoint. After seeing the first trailer I knew that it was lining up to be the best Marvel movie so far. I know I’m part of the billionaires club and love all things Ironman, and that I could be scoffed at for not saying Avengers was the best, but I truly think this movie has upped the ante to all other Marvel movies to try to be better than it.

Between the almost perfect story, acting, and action set pieces, this movie was honestly amazing. There are things that lessened the experience of the movie but that is mainly because of the source material, I have things to say about that, which I will place at the bottom of this article since they contain a few spoilers, as that is something that I can’t stand as you will see.


After being reintroduced to the world after 70 years and fighting a bunch of aliens, Steve Rogers tries to gain some normality in his life, by joining S.H.I.E.L.D. and serving his country, like any good super soldier ripped out of his own time would. Leading his own strike team, Rogers takes care of high value missions. The Lemurian Star, a S.H.I.E.L.D. cruiser capable of launching satellites into orbit, is high jacked by pirates, and Steve and his crew must take it back. During the rescue operation Natasha Romanoff splits off from the team to secure any sensitive data that could be on board, by secret orders from Nick Fury.

After the events in the Avengers, the world security council decided that the only way that they could guarantee that the world could be protected was if they had several state of the art helicarriers in the air at all times ready to fight at a moment’s notice. On the eve of their unveiling and launch, Fury fears that the mission might be compromised and requests that the launch be delayed till he has adequate time to investigate and make sure everything is clear. And that is when all hell breaks loose…


I would love to carry on further but that isn’t an option for it would be spoilers galore from here on out. It’s interesting too, watching this movie after the first and the Avengers, and if you want the episode of Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. that aired the week the movie came out, then after you see the movie watch the next episode of Agents, or just watch both episodes after the movie, it will make sense.

I am saying it now, this movie is worth the 6 dollar sir charge on top of the ticket price to see it in IMAX 3D, a bit ridiculous but I can’t stress enough how much the movie looks amazing in IMAX. You don’t have to be crazy like me though, any way you see this movie is fine, just go see it in theaters please. You will lose so much by not going to see it on the big screen.

One last thing I will say before I leave you, the comedy in this movie is really good for the most part, but a few jokes fall flat. Oh and there are 2 credit sequences… thanks Joss Whedon for starting that trend, even though it is nice having a credit break instead of sitting all the way to the end, with only long credits in-between.




I give it a 4 out of 5

Written by Jeff Potts




*spoiler section*

For those of you that read the comics and knew the truth about the Winter Soldier, that is fine, but seriously wtf is it with the world today that something that is supposed to be a bombshell moment in a movie, is ruined by anyone that wants to be an a-hole and not let it be a bombshell. I went in trying to keep my parents from knowing the truth about the Winter Soldier until they saw the movie, I knew they were safe from the internet spoiling it, because they either don’t use a computer or never situate themselves to be in a position to see spoilers, but despite my best efforts it was spoiled for them both by the stupidest reasons. My dad read it in the newspaper, another reason to get rid of print media, and Marvel themselves ruined it for my mom by giving it away in their one hour special, Assembling a Universe, which I did tell them not to watch till after the movie because I saw it first and saw the spoiler, but she couldn’t wait that long to see it. To me, if I didn’t know who the character was already from reading the comics, that would have pissed me off so bad. It was a moment in the movie that felt like it was supposed to be big, the way they hid him and shot the reveal, but if you knew, then you’re like who cares why are you failing at making this suspenseful. I mean see even this spoiler doesn’t have spoilers, just eluding to them, but now all the jackasses of the world have to be the first to tell you about Bruce Willis.

No comments:

Post a Comment