Thursday, April 3, 2014

The Grand Budapest Hotel


Before I say this I would like to mention that as you grow up your tastes change, or you understand things differently. I used to work at a movie theater, and at that time the first of Wes Andersons movies where coming out, and whenever I would check in on the theater I wasn’t too impressed with what I saw. Now 12 years later, I haven’t caught up on all of his movies, but I love the handful that I have seen.

I will summarize this a little differently than normal because it loses a lot of flavor if I try to explain it in detail.


The following is a review of a girl reading a book, about the second hand stories a writer wrote, from a man that lived the events…. See how weird this could get if I wanted it too.

The Grand Budapest Hotel was once an exquisite establishment, under the care of the best concierge ever to serve, Monsieur Gustave H., who also has a fondness for bedding older women. On this day he must evict one of the tenants, Madame D, one of his elderly lovers. One month later he is informed of the death of Madame D and rushes to be there at her side. After the funeral, Gustave returns to the hotel, where shortly after the police arrive and accuse Gustave of killing Madame D, and subsequently arrest him.

With the help of the Lobby Boy, Zero, Gustave makes a plan to escape prison, and clear his name.


There is something really funny about dry humor mixed with visual gags that Wes Anderson simply dominates. That’s where I think I’ve been pulled in at, because I respond to it so much more than the junk I liked when I was younger, and I noticed it too, that comedy didn’t cut it like this comedy does now.

A great comparison to make is, if you liked the movie Clue then you will probably like this movie too. It wasn’t the same story or anything, it’s just a good barometer for similar styles. That being said, you should definitely see this movie any way you can, try for the theater, but if you don’t like going out then seriously go pick it up when it hits home video.



I give this a 4.5 out of 5

Written by Jeff Potts

No comments:

Post a Comment