Tuesday, February 11, 2014

the Lego Movie


A children’s story like all the others, but it stands far from the rest. I’m not knocking the formula that the movie follows by any means, even though it is the basis for all kids movies.

1.A terrible thing happens that only one person can stop, and that person doesn’t know they are special.

2.A supporting hero finds this person to tell them they are special, but they don’t see that about them self, but they follow this other hero, and find other people willing to fight for the cause.

3.Then in the end they see that they were a hero all along.

I’m saying that this movie took that and ran with it across the finish line.


Emmet, a young construction worker who lives completely by the book, does everything according to the instructions. Until one day he notices something out of the ordinary and falls down a hole when he goes to investigate. At the bottom of this hole he finds something called “a piece of destiny” and when he touches it he passes out and gets a vision. when he awakens he is in custody and being interrogated about the piece of destiny that is now attached to his back.

During the interrogation Emmet is rescued by a MasterBuilder, named Wyldstyle, they escape the city in search of the other MasterBuilders, to use the piece of destiny to stop president Business from unleashing his ultimate weapon, the Kragle, that he will use to keep anything from changing, ever again.

Wyldstyle discovers that there is nothing special about Emmet and that he just accidentally happened across the piece of destiny. They meet up with Vitruvius, a great MasterBuilder, who leads them to the other MasterBuilders, but when they learn the truth about Emmet they all lose hope that they will ever succeed, and this is quickly reinforced by a sudden raid by the robot police force, where most of the MasterBuilders are captured, and Emmet and his group now have a bigger challenge on their hands, of freeing the others and stopping president Business.



I seriously love, love, loved this movie. probably because I love Legos so much, but it was a really good story too, even if it sounds like I think it’s not original. The story point that comes up toward the end of the movie is a large reason why I loved the movie, story wise, but just the fact that everything was made out of Legos, not a single thing in this movie wasn’t made out of Legos, except for the certain special items. I wish I could have shown this to a younger me, I would have lost my shit, and things might have gone differently for me, but I’m glad I can just look at it in retrospect.

I would say definitely go see this in theaters, take your friends, take your family, and above all, take the kids.


I give it a 4 out of 5

Written by Jeff Potts

No comments:

Post a Comment